Every once in awhile Haute Shots is presented with the opportunity to photograph women who have some modeling experience. I’d say we have photographed around 5-7 models by now. Our typical client usually has no modeling experience though. We work with both types of clients pretty much the same way. They go through the same process, receive the same amazing experience and I still give even the models direction during their photo sessions.
But, there are some very noticeable differences that the model types bring to the table as far as posing and expressions are concerned. It’s funny, I can always tell when other photographers are passing off models as normal clients on their blogs and websites due to the differences I see in the few models I have shot. This is why I will always let you, my dear readers, know if it is in fact a model I am displaying here. It’s a rarity, but every so often it happens.
This gorgeous gal, below, was gifted a shoot with us by her sweet friend while she was visiting Las Vegas from the Ukraine. We absolutely loved working with her and appreciated having her fun translator there for the shoot as well. I am thrilled she gave us permission to share her photos and am excited to post them here so that if you are considering a photo session with us, you can study a few things our client did in her session to help make your photos even better.
A few noticeable differences:
- First off, she was relaxed in front of the camera. Not an easy feat for most of us, I know. But, I always suggest adopting an alter ego for this. Pretend you are your favorite model or actress. Or pretend you are this client! Each of us has the confidence to do this, I guarantee it. But, sometimes have to fake it till you make it. And, this is the perfect opportunity to try it out in a super safe environment.
- She had natural grace with her hands. Her fingers were never stiff or too symmetrical. They seemed to gently graze her face or figure and her palms or the back of hands never faced the camera directly. She also “used” her hands (in her hair, along her body) instead of merely just placing them.
- Her expressions were varied. She wasn’t afraid to flirt with the camera and show different sides of her personality.
- There was energy in her poses. She really went for it and committed to the poses. I will always encourage you to exaggerate the poses for this reason. Breathe into it, move into it, really feel the pose in a genuine way.
- She added her own flair to my poses with slight changes in her expressions and hands after each shot was taken.
- She found her light. She was aware of my light source and was great at angling her face towards it.
These are all things I will remind you of and coach you for at your session, of course, but it’s always helpful to go in with a few new ideas and an extra boost in confidence, right? You can do this too! Let Haute Shots help you unleash your own inner supermodel!
This client below has modeling experience but was not a paid or trade model for this shoot.
Las Vegas Weekly Magazine Feature: Unleash Your Inner Seductress
Seven Magazine: What Is Beauty?
Book a Photography Session
Get on The Haute List!